One of the best things about living in Colorado is all the amazing outdoor activities that are available right on our doorsteps: skiing and snowboarding, white water rafting, hiking, rock climbing, golf (to name just a few!). So if you’re an active, sporty couple with a love for nature, then a Colorado destination wedding could be just the thing. Gorgeous vistas, the chance to participate in your favorite activities with your friends and family…what could be better? But how about weaving a little of your passions into the wedding theme too? A few whimsical touches that reference your favorite pastimes can really add personality and make your event stand out. Here are some fun outdoor activity-based wedding theme ideas to inspire you!
Ski & Snowboarding Wedding Theme Ideas
- Set the scene for a destination wedding in Aspen with a ski pass Save the Date.
- Name your tables after major ski resorts and create a custom ski trail map as your table plan.
- Vintage ski gear can add an elegant touch to your décor, like old wooden snow shoes, antique skis, and vintage ski resort posters.
- Serve warming après ski favorites at cocktail hour like mulled wine and hot cocoa.
- Have your cake designer add mountain detailing to the fondant for a subtle Alpine twist to the traditional wedding cake.
Hiking Wedding Theme Ideas
- Help guests find their way to their seats with compass escorts that double up as favors.
- Pay tribute to the gorgeous wildflowers on the Colorado trails by including locally sourced, seasonal blooms in your bouquets and table arrangements.
- Set up a DIY trail mix or granola bar where guests can put their own mix together from a range of tasty options.
- Set up trail-inspired directional signs at your venue, pointing guests to the ceremony and reception. They also make adorable table name signs!
- Have a cake topper that pays tribute to your sense of adventure, like ‘And so the adventure begins’ or ‘You are my greatest adventure’.
Camping Wedding Theme Ideas
- Give your tablescape a camping chic vibe with pretty lanterns, enamelware mugs or plates, and touches of flannel.
- Some kind of tent is a must for a camping chic wedding, from a traditional marquee to a Bedouin tent or yurt.
- S’mores and camping go hand in hand, so set up a s’more station and let your guests make their own, or send them home with a s’mores kit as a fun favor.
- Set up a fire pit with lots of comfy chairs, pillows and blankets for guests to sit around and enjoy hot cocoa and campfire chat late into the night.
- A vintage camper is the perfect photo booth or mobile bar addition to your camp themed wedding. Guests will love it!
Canoeing & White Water Rafting Wedding Theme Ideas
- Old canoes make great décor pieces at a wedding. You can fill them with ice and drinks for a self-serve bar, use a half-canoe as an altar or an escort card display, or suspend one above the main table with flowers hanging from it for an eye-catching installation.
- Mini oars make creative place holders at each seat tied with a sprig of flowers or herbs.
- A set of wooden paddles makes for an unusual guest book alternative that you can display as a piece of art on your wall at home.
- As you exit the ceremony, have the groomsmen form an arch with oars instead of swords.
- If you love being on the water, a lakeside ceremony is a must, so why not have the bride make the ultimate entrance by boat?
Golf Wedding Theme Ideas
- Send out scorecard style save the dates, complete with mini golf pencils inscribed with your names and wedding date.
- Tuck a tee or two into the groom and groomsmen’s boutonnieres to honor their favorite sport.
- Speaking of groomswear, it’s only fitting that the man of the hour dons a green jacket for the wedding, just like the Masters champion!
- Tuck numbered pennants into your centerpieces as table numbers in a nod to the numbered holes on a golf course.
- What would a golf-themed wedding be without a golf cart getaway? Add a ‘just married’ sign for an extra touch!
Of course, you don’t need to go overboard with any of these wedding theme ideas when you choose to have a destination wedding in Colorado. The spectacular mountain scenery will do most of the work for you!
Top image by Lacie Hansen