With Valentine’s Day coming up, it’s easy to feel like the only ‘right’ way to show your love is with cards, flowers and heart-shaped candy. But really, there are as many ways to say “I love you” as there are relationships and people in them. Beautiful words might be everything to one person, while concrete actions are more meaningful to another. The most important thing is to keep making the effort to show you care (in ways you know they do too). Romance isn’t all about the big gestures – sometimes it’s more about little ones that add up. Here are 10 sweet and simple ways to say “I love you” this Valentine’s Day… and throughout the year!
- Write a love letter. Who doesn’t go a little weak at the knees at the thought of a real love letter? If you’re low on inspiration, share a quote from one of the great romantic poets. The most important thing is that it’s handwritten and heartfelt.
- Do a chore for them. It may not sound romantic, but nothing says ‘I care’ more than doing the dishes or cleaning out the litter box. Extra points if it’s a chore he or she hates.
- Cook (or order in) their favorite meal. After all, the way to someone’s heart is through their stomach.
- Hold their hand. It’s simple and it’s free, but it’s still the best way to give your sweetheart those teenage crush butterflies.
- Send them a sweet text at work. The warm glow they’ll get from your message will carry them through the rest of the working day. You could also surprise them with a love note on a Post-it tucked into a coat pocket, laptop case or lunch box.
- Bring them breakfast in bed. Spoiling your partner with a delicious breakfast served in bed may be a bit of a cliche, but it’s a classic for a reason.
- Give them a handmade gift. A gift made with love is extra special and will always be treasured by the recipient, no matter how small. It really is the thought (and effort) that counts!
- Take them down memory lane. Remind them of the special times you’ve shared by making them a photo album or music playlist, or recreating your first date.
- Show that you know them. We all want to be seen and acknowledged by the people we love. Show how well you know your partner by giving them a little treat you know they’ll love, whether it’s a favorite food or a candlelight bath.
- Have an unplugged date. Plan a night in (or out!) with a difference by switching off your devices or leaving them at home. Give your partner your undivided attention, and use the opportunity to really and truly listen to them and reconnect.
However you choose to celebrate with your sweetie, here’s wishing you a day filled with old fashioned romance!
You must log in to post a comment.